Today is Veteran's Day - A day that i remember and am thankful for ALL the Veterans in my life - My father and grandfather who's experience I learned about when I was young and possibly helped me to decide to give this whole Army thing a try - Now to the Amazing people I have met because of and through the military.
most importantly this guy - here is my smile after 15 months of separation.
How about Commissioning at University of Michigan circa 1998 - I am surprised at how many of the names I actually remember - forever engrained.
Kosovo Circa 1999
Its the cool calls and connections you get on Veterans day too - Nicole was walking through U of M on her way to the Veteran's lunch at the Michigan Union - She sent me this photo of the CCRB track - the place of many early morning PT sessions and runs. Oh the memories.
Oh the friends that are forever on my heart.
Today Chris and I put on our uniforms and represented the Armed Forces in Shane and Nick's classroom. Loved the questions (the most popular was - what was the gas chamber like) Loved meeting the other Veterans in our area as well.
Here is what I opted to post on FB
Here is what I opted to post on FB
in 1993 I CHOSE to compete for the ROTC scholarship - my father had served, my grandfather had served. I didn't have a huge calling - but thought it would be a direction that could give me direction, plus the scholarship was a HUGE help to my out of state school desire at UofM. That one decision (like many) changed the entire course of my life. The folks that I have meant and loved through and because of the military of some of the most true, strong, resilient people I will ever know. I am thankful to call them friends, Dad, Husband and family - I wonder if one will be called son.
If you have a child that has ever considered serving their country I would love to talk to them, share our experience. Yes, I often hated getting up early for PT or missions. Yes there were MANY times when I wanted a shower and didn't get one. Yes, my husband and I were separated for 15 LONG months during which I found one of my greatest life friend - Was I ever alone in any of it - never. Did I travel to amazing places (and some not so amazing) and serve a country and a mission bigger than myself - yes absolutely - If you served 1 year, 5 years, 20 years or a life time - you made that choice too and today your should be proud of that thought, that desire and that service. Today we thank you all who ever wore and will wear the uniform that serves our county.
#thankful
#thankful




No comments:
Post a Comment