Saturday, January 9, 2021

Friday night skiing

Friday night on the slopes and ITS THE PLACE TO BE in our area.  The cars where lines up to come in.  We told the boys we were skiing together as a family.  

Honestly there was a part in that conversation where they were horrified.  
Nick had a group of buddies he has been skiing with (nightly)  
Shane finally orchestrated his group of friends for that night (to include a burger dinner) and Drew even had a buddy to link up with.  

We had successfully raised 3 independent skiers - congrats Mom and Dad.  Sorry mom if you are a little nostalgic about it all.

Therefore Chris and I brought the fire pit and tailgating elements.  We weren't 100% comfortable with Drew's independence, so we needed to keep up with him a bit.  After a little tailgating I went off to find him.  Not having a friend or kiddo to ride the lifts meant each time I came through the mass of folks in line, I ended up riding the lift solo (COVID times makes for even more awkward ski lift meeting)

I went up the lift scanning for Drew (or Shane and Nick) each time.  I found Nick once, he kindly said Hi and went off to his friends.  I found Shane and he did something similar (less cheery).  I rode the lift another solo time.  I have to admit, with all the Friday groups and social feels, riding solo was getting me kinda down.  I scanned the slope again, no Drew.  I took my skis off and decided I was done riding the lift solo.  

Who do I see at that exact moment?  My little Red and black turtle (I have often referred to my learning skiers as turtles as honestly they do look like baby turtles)  It brings tears to my eyes now at how excited we BOTH were to see each other.  I told him how I rode the lift solo a few times and it made me sad.  He told me he rode the lift solo 5 times!  (Geesh, what's my problem - this resilient kiddo is teaching ME a lesson)  He than proceeded to talk my ear off of all his adventures, jumps, trails and successes on the mountain.  We rocked a few more runs together before they closed down the lifts for the night.  I just wanted to remember how happy the both of us were to see each other than night.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment