He did it! Starting in November Nick swam 4 days a week. The season ended at the last week in March. 5 meets and he qualified for New England's in the 50m Breast stroke. The qualifying time 40.7. Nick's time 40.64 Yup, he did it!
We opted to attend All stars instead where he could compete in 3 events swimming the 100 free - where he placed 4th and in watching the video didn't realize how close he was to standing on the podium! He swam the 200IM which is SUCH a challenging event but he makes it look beautiful. Fly and all.
With the help of Chris and my folks, he made it to most all of the practices and it was A LOT. I think the season was truly the most challenging for him. He had to give the most, practiced A LOT and make the time for it. Even I was hesitant at first but was thrilled with the team and the coaching. Thankful Nick was part of the Lasers
The banquet was held in April and completely caught us off guard by being a rather nice affair and we felt wildly under dressed. Of course Nick owned it and did just fine, while my mind inventoried all the nice outfits that were hanging in his closet that should be on his body. At least he was wearing Lasers Red!
When he received the MVP award for his age group I had tears in my eyes as I do love how other gravitate to his personality and smile too. Love how coaches can see his sweet heart beating as he tries so hard and dreams big.
He didn't know a single kid on the team before starting. Most of their practices are underwater. And yet he buddies up with them all - from a different school that I wonder if someday he will be able to swim for. I will admit - Fortnight did a lot of connecting for these boys. There is good in it at times.
This one is a keeper for sure - Just keep swimming Nick! I know you are ready for a break so as we welcome baseball I want to record the beauty in your strength this season.
No comments:
Post a Comment