Thursday, January 6, 2011

Gus and Gertie

My mother-in-law Barbara has a flare for classic books and finds the treasured ones with meaningful messages. Yesterday we received Gus and Gertie in the mail from her. It was one she treasured reading to her children and she was thrilled to find it on Amazon to send to us (it was singed inside from 1978!).


Nick and I got to read it that night. It’s a sweet story about Gus who enjoys catching one fish each day, Gerite cooks it up for dinner and they live a simple life… Until Gertie buys him a bigger net for more fish, than a boat……. It keeps getting bigger…. Gus finally realizes he missed the simple life with simple times and the one he loves. He leaves it all behind. It was a sad part in the book seeing Gus sitting at home by himself – until he hears a knock on the door. I look over to Nick and say – who do you think that is?? He looks at me and says…. His mom.

How sweet to think that the one person Gus wanted back was his mom.

Now, in 20 (or less) years I know that will change and Nick will have other important folks in his life that will take my place. But hearing him interpret that story like that brought tears to my eyes and a warm hug in my heart.

Thank you again Barbara for sending such a sweet book. We all need to treasure the simple things – our family.

1 comment:

  1. We love this book too... I have a copy that was given to me by by Great Aunt Sarah who was a librarian back in the late 70's. Funny that I always thought Gertie was Gus' wife, but I don't think they ever spell it out :) Glad you posted some updates and looks like everything is going great!

    ReplyDelete