Sunday, June 6, 2010

While mom is away the boys will PLAY!

The Leadbetter family had quite the weekend.  Mine started on Friday as I headed to a 3 day BODY PUMP training course here in Germany - as you can imagine, the ENTIRE class was in German.  It was my version of total immersion.  I will write more on that later if you are interested - but in the mean time -
The boys went to Verdun, France to see the World War I memorial - 3.5 hr drive = Nick gets to watch a movie or two




After almost three weeks of rain and cold weather there wasn't a cloud in the sky and it was 80 degrees, Shane was chilin in the backpack trying to stay in the shade





Front gate to the walled city of Verdun.  Verdun was a walled fortress from way back - pre-Napoleon and was a big symbolic city for France.  In WWI Germany attacked knowing the French would commit all they had to save it.  Germany's plan was to kill enough French that their Army would be unable to continue - almost worked but the Germans were getting killed almost as quickly - all told 1,000,000 casualties.  The battlefield has been turned into a national park and you are highly encouraged not to leave the paved roads because of the high numbers of unexploded artillery shells. 


This monument is for all the French soldiers who fought at Verdun


Here's a shot of nick peeing on top of the Verdun Monument
Nice work Nick, I feel the same way about the French!


This is the memorial at the actual battlefield, Chris's comments were: it is surreal and a little creepy - there are windows along the bottom of the monument that allow you to look into the "crypt" where thousands of soldier's remains from the battle are stacked up




This is a French Cemetary on the battlefield, there is an American one but there wasn't enough time to visit it.



This monument is for the French General Maginot - the Maginot Line used in WWII was named for him



Here are just a few things I wanted to record from my weekend.  It was a 1h20 minute drive each way to the Les Mills BODY PUMP course.  I loved every second of solo time in the car.  I arrived Friday morning having little idea of what to expect.  There were 5 ladies in the course of varying fitness levels and our instructor was not comfortable speaking english.  There was a lady that once dated an American and her english was quite good and she was sweet to offer a few words here and there when I looked totally confused.  I was thankful to feel very comfortable with Body Pump after participating for over 6 years.  but everything started in a major rush.  After the first day I was mentally and physically drained.  Getting in the car and listening to English being spoken was a HUGE relief. 

Surprising that I may have considered this course to be a break in my workout schedule.  Instead it was a MAJOR addition.  We performed the equivalent of two body pump classes each day, each of us learning and teaching several different tracks (I got to speak in English thankfully or I would have surely failed!). 

Words cannot explain what it feels like to finally enjoy a lunch break outside in the gym garden (yes, they had a beautiful terrace) and be included in a conversation with a group of ladies where I really don't speak their language or understand what they are saying.  At one point in the gossip time I leaned over to the sweet woman who offered english words to me and asked....  are they talking about shopping?  To which she replied - no, men....  way off!!  I would like to think by Sunday I was a bit better.

The Les Mills way of instructing is very personal and motivating (even in German)  By the end of the three days I actually listened to German radio on the way home.  My immersion is working.  Too bad I am headed to the states in 6 days during which it will surely erase from my mind.  Honestly, I cannot believe I did it but I am stronger for it - in more ways than 1!

No comments:

Post a Comment