Monday, April 11, 2016

Spring Breaking - New York City - turn the dial UP!

Spring break was so much fun and so much stuff!!  I want to keep it all in the same blog and keep it as simple as I honestly tried to keep it
 - Here is Monday morning - 
As a special treat - the kids got to eat breakfast AND lunch while watching TV - 

I wrote them a schedule of chores for first - we had a 10:30 Fresh air fund appointment - more about that later, but Nick came up and told me at 10:30 they will go outside and get some 'fresh air' - totally the intention of the program!
Than Tuesday morning we woke up to a RAINY day - but Bob Maxim (our local weather man) told us it would stop by 1 - so we dragged our feet a bit and headed out by 10:30 hoping to make the 1pm security check in at the Statue of Liberty.
We parked the car - the skies showed signs of starting to part and the rain was slowing down
 we headed out - 
It was still kind of raining - but we were prepared - 
headed to the statue!

Loved the Ferry - it really gave such a view of the city.
The boys are happily at the end of the ferry
Making good use of our selfie stick - loved getting everyone together.   And Lady Liberty 

The boys did great, when we checked in, our ticket included a little walking tour head set - they each got one.  The story of the statue was told from the point of view of a falcon.  It spoke to the construction, the history, They loved it (and were in control)
A little view from the pedestal
We only climbed the pedestal (the other option is climbing up to the crown)  it proved to be just enough - my fear of heights and taking the kiddos up there would have been way too much for me.
Plenty high up
Being out there on a Tuesday afternoon (kind of rainy) really helped with the crowds too - it NYC so there are always crowds, but at least we did our best to keep it to a minimum.  So many foreigners on the ferry - loved that aspect of it.  Statue of Liberty is a true symbol of American and what we have become.
A little selfie stick using with Nick
Let me tuck this one in there - souvenir shopping - not what he selected (thankfully!)
 Nice impersonation  - snack and all
Next stop was the ferry to Ellis Island - loved looking back to what it must have looked like.  The surrounding buildings really haven't changed much, but they aren't used really.  During the tour we learned they were used as a hospital, housing etc.  
Here was the main processing building.
We did a little exploring (as much as the kiddos and I could handle) and headed back to Manhattan.  The thing about New York - is if Chris didn't keep us on a timeline, we would have never seen what we wanted to see.  Thank you Chris!
Skies are looking better!
ON the ferry back to Manhattan I kept imagining what its like to live in the city - I have 2 friends living there now - they each have a child and a dog living in an apartment and LOVE it - such a different life!
Not exactly the pose they were looking for when the statue was placed, but I will take it - and I will take those boys too
Onto 9/11 memorial.  walking through the city it is so hard to imagine 2 HUGE towers that are truly no longer there - imagine what that did the to city, the time, the chaos, the prayers, the people, the volunteers, the lives, everything will be forever different today
The memorial is so fitting, truly the opposite of what was there, bustling towers, luring or activity going up.  Now, names serene water and everything spilling down.


The one thing I wasn't expecting was this Oculus - its truly a striking structure in the city - its purpose is very different from what I imagine the other buildings to be - its over a metro stop and will soon host shops and a place to gather.
The Selfie stick became a bit of entertainment while waiting in line to possibly see the museum 
Everyone was getting involved
Gotta admit - he is a cutie (and yes, there were about 1,000 photos I needed to delete)
We opted not to go through the Museum although its free after 4 on Tuesday (who knew)  - the line was still long and not sure the kids would have made it.  Chris and I would like to go one day - but not today.
Just a closer look on the construction
We went around the street to St. Paul's church a place that housed many of the volunteers on shifts after the attack.  It was un touched and now a beautiful remembrance of the many days that followed.
Something about this classic building I had to snap a photo
after this photo we went to recover the car and repark it at the hotel - this operation took a rather LONG time - why, because its NYC - we made it to Ellen's Stardust Cafe by 6 (along with a few other folks) so while Chris waited in line, Nick and I scooted to Time Square real quick
Lots going on there - always - again, the coolest thing in my opinion was all the tourist snapping selfies - 

Back at the Diner - indulging in their milkshakes
since we weren't headed to a broadway show, Diane recommended this as a dinner stop - no reservations or pricey ticket needed and everyone in the diner was making their effort to get to broadway (The cafe is ON broadway - but they have aspirations of BIGGER) and in the meantime, they sing to us as they bring our food - the range of folks performing was huge - from 'Let is go' to 'Benny and the Jets' - as we left they were singing 'Living on a prayer'  I am always impressed by singers (because I can't!)
Nick had a few folks come by and sing directly to him - he was busy trying to eat the BIG burger! 
We did A LOT of walking and as if the kiddos weren't tired enough already, we walked them BACK to time square for a family shot.
Our hotel wasn't too far off of Time square and we were ALL very excited to get back there - with 2 queen beds, I read in-between Nick and Shane until they dozed off (yes, I dozed too!) while Drew and Dad slept in the other bed.  Cozy, and totally worked.
The next morning I had vision of enjoying central park with our breakfast to go - but it was chilly and we were hungry, so we walked across the street and scored an awesome breakfast
Shane proclaimed these as the best pancakes ever!  (he is swayed by the whipped cream)
 A trip to NYC can be all about timing so that is what makes me laugh about these photos - 
I LOVE the Today show and think Matt, Al, Savannah and Natalie are my morning friends.  I didn't have a HUGE desire to fight the crowds and be there while they were filming (thankfully) as this is what we walked up on - yup, they aclearly did a segment out here - but were done.
 We did get to peek in the windows to see Al Rocker doing the weather (often the best part of the Today Show) and honestly that was enough.  Can you see me in this shadowy photo - how to prove to myself I was there!
Now on another bit of timing, we were too late for the Today Show, yet too early for the Lego Store - all about timing 
There is PLENTY of construction going on in the city and honestly I was fascinated by it - how the heck do they keep a schedule?  where do they park?  Materials, concrete - now that is a schedule!
I am pretty sure when we rounded the corner and saw this, Chris knew we needed a selfie - I took a photo of the sweet Japanese tourist and she did the same for us.
Exactly where we should be - ALL DAY - central park rocks!
The topography was so impressive, rocks to climb on, hills, grass, we didn't do much else other than stroll

 And take photos of course - it was such a beautiful brisk day.
 Winner!  Love the city in the background!
 Plenty of Trump in NYC
 Avenue of America's
Time to leave the city so this is everyone's favorite party - souvenir shopping - honestly they did o.k.  Nick grabbed the world trade center tower, Shane the Empire state building (since we didn't get to see it) and Drew a sweet super hero photo for his room - that ironically Tate has the exact same one (it just got cooler!)
We are DONE!  Time to get the car - yes, that took the LONGEST.  we waited at our hotel for almost 45 minutes for Chris to grab it - Than the kids and head hit the GPS for WOODBRIDGE VA - while Chris took the train back home.   He said the train was perfect and very relaxing (wonder if that had anything to do with the fact that he didn't have kiddos with him)  love that he snapped a photo of the bridge - mostly because I get HUGE anxiety driving over the bridge, sweaty palms searching for someone to talk to - HATE IT - but I do it anyway as there are 2 big ones between here and VA
As much as I want to keep it in one blog, I just can't NYC was all touristy stuff - I felt like the finale fail just kept turning, parking, taxes (hotel and food were HUGE) it is EXPENSIVE to live in the city.  Nick proclaimed he was not interested in ever living there - time will tell buddy!

No comments:

Post a Comment