Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Being Open to Mom monents

Many of my days require me to cope with chaos. Shane is eating the dog food. I put the dog food outside. Nick opens the door to go outside (leaving it open). Shane crawls outside and is back in the dog food. Really? Need I even mention that hour before dinner when you wonder if you can even manage to make a dinner your husband would like to come home too?


Well these past few days I have had a few moments that I want to remember a lifetime. I wasn’t expecting any of these moments, but they stopped me in my tracks, each time I rethink them I get that warm fluttery feeling in my stomach.

Mr. Independent
In-between my spin and pump class I have 2.5 hours to rinse off, get home, feed dudes (thankful for Chris’s help), get them to kindergarten & mutter tooter, get back to work hoping for no traffic. In that time, my neighbor called feeling horribly sick and needed me to take her little one to her kindergarten as well. I said, no problem, I will get her in 5 minutes.

On our drive to Nick’s kindergarten I talked to him about needing his help and being a big boy with Shane and Jemina (now in the car with us). I didn’t tell him how, just asked for his help. As we stopped in front of his kindergarten, he got out and told me “Mom, stay here, I am going to look both ways for cars, cross the street, open the door to my kindergarten, walk up the steps, put my house shoes on and go in all by myself”

Honestly, I didn’t say anything at first because I really couldn’t believe everything I just heard. Nick was well thought out and rather affirmative. I was stopped in my tracks, Nick asked for a hug and kiss, looked both ways and headed off carrying his snack sack. With tears in my eyes, as I was not expecting this moment, I watched as my confident little almost 4 year old opened the heavy kindergarten door and headed upstairs. He didn’t look back once.

I picked him up that afternoon and asked how kindergarten was. He said he told his teacher he was there all by himself….. Surely makes me wonder what that translation was like =)



SMOOCHER

Check out Shane the stomper - his enthusiasm may add a few days to the walking thing..

2 – Just the other day, I left Shane with his Mutter Tooter (day mother, but Nick couldn’t figure out TagesMutter, so Mutter tooter stuck) I asked Shane for a kiss. Not sure what I would get (or if I would get anything) he leaned in to the sloppiest open mouth KISS. Wow ladies – look out! I got three more in that moment and loved every one!


Mr. Sensitive
3 – One more from Nicholas. Last night Chris put him to bed. Anyone who has ever complained about little girls and dolls needs to meet boys with matchbox cars. Nick seems to know where every single one is at any given moment - ESPECIALLY Lighting McQueen.

The end of the night, after teeth brushing, book reading, prayers, songs etc – he springs a car search on you. It seems to be his delay tactic. Most of the time we can stave him off saying, ‘Let’s look in the morning’ or ‘here’s Mr. Frog, he wants to sleep with you’

However, last night when Nick asked for Lightning McQueen and Chris said, ‘he is outside, we will get him tomorrow.’ Nick fell apart. The idea of Lightning McQueen spending a cold night outside by himself was enough to send him into absolutely misery (and boy did it sound horrible).

It was already dark here, but I thought I remembered seeing Lighting McQueen outside while we were working in the garden. Using my IPhone flashlight, I spotted him among the carrots. As Nick was still wailing I asked if I could be the hero this once (Chris and I agree not to cater to this and often let him cry it out). I crept upstairs, peeped open the door with Lightning McQueen. Nick stops crying at the sight of this little match box car. He instantly stands up and gives me the wettest kiss followed by the biggest hug and says ‘thank you mom, I love you’. That is what I will always remember.

3 comments:

  1. I WANT BABIES!!! Seriously, my eyes welled up half-way through the first story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. aaaawwww.. quit making me tear up at work! how sweet. smooch your sweet boys for us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome story Sara. -tam

    ReplyDelete