Here is the store. I will safe all the photos as the one I liked was $3400. So I saved $3300 by purchasing a bohemian garnet ring instead. Sweet.

Now to Vilseck where my adventure as a young army officer began.
This was my favorite restaurant. First because it was walking distance from my house.

Second because they served the best garlic creme soup. I sat at this table MANY times, with my dad, Chris, Meghan Ederle (girl where r u?), my mom... But never with a carseat;)

Rainy dreary vilseck.... Guess it's fitting. We stayed at the on post hotel to be immersed in memory lane. Just walking into the hotel, the scent of the entry way brought back memories of being alone in a foreign country, but having the excitement of the potential adventures to come. It was in vilseck I met some of the most amazing and influential folks in my life-most importantly my husband (who ironically worked 2 hours away)

At 6:30, reveille played (almost right outside of our window) and several units ran by calling cadence. A smile spread across my face as my mom was shocked, but I snuggled drew and went back to sleep.
I loved 'reliving' the memories.
Here's the formation sight for bravo company, 94th engineers.

And here was our company headquarters location (B co and HSC) The unit is different now as the engineers were relocated to ft.lewis. But that didn't change the buildings, the red doors, or the soldiers in the gazebo;)

Next stop, the town. We had a train station in my town-fabulous! Direct shot to nurenburg. Used it plenty! Picked up my family here as they were such savvy travelers. (my mom remembered it!)

Next, to my old house...... I drove down blumenstrasse and was crushed when it didn't jump out at me. I swore it was #3. Why did it not instantly feel like my old home? Well let me tell you, this is what it looked like when I moved in circa 1999.

This is what it looked like today! They spent the passed 3 YEARS renovating it.

I walked up to the door to investigate, as I did, I spotted my old landlady and instantly knew I was in the right place. So, I rang the door bell. Now I had anticipated seeing her for a while, but I'm quite certain she was rather shocked to see me! Thankfully I brought a photo of my family to leave with her. It was fun telling her about Chris. I asked her if she remembered the boy that was always visiting me, cause I married him!! We have 3 boys! I put all our names on the back and a swear she must be looking at it right now.
This photo was taken in my old kitchen (this is my landlady and her grand daughter)

However this is what it (and me) looked like in 1999.

Her husband was there to and I loved giving him a hug. They asked me about the motorcycle (long story if your haven't already heard it) about my mom, said the dryer i bought it still awesome. (keep in mind, this is them speaking in German, I in English)
I was so glad I went. What a truly meaningful visit that bridged time, travel, culture and family.
So as I was scanning the old photos I came up with these gems..... This was my car in 1999. It was awesome! Nothing was automatic. I remember one day trying to get to PT on time and the muffler fell off, yes, fell off, so I grabbed it, threw it in my sunroof and headed to PT... I wasn't even late (loud, but not late). My dad helped me fix a taillight by grabbing one from the junkyard (windshield wipers were bonus)! $500. I wish I still had it. Sort of

Looks at these Christmas beauties.

Oh wait, look at these Christmas beauties;)

A true Charlie brown Christmas. What a great tree;)

No comments:
Post a Comment