See this guy - He is one happy camper - We just had the greatest day at the pool. Friends were there - it was HOT, we were all swimming and mom even splurged for McDs ice cream afterwards (BEFORE DINNER!)
And than about 8pm they are jumping off the beds. Normal rough housing in my opinion. I have honestly gotten tired of yelling at them for it. We HATE yelling - but its necessary most times with 3 boys.... Here is why.
There is crying (yes, a different kind crying) I hear Chris go in. He non chantly says, I think Drew just broke his arm. (he is holding Drew) I am in shock and dis belief mostly because we just spent the most amazing day at the pool and now THAT will be out the door - selfish for me and the other boys.
Now Nick is at my side crying. What? U pushed him off? He asked you too?
O.k. Chris is o.k. and he is much better at handling stress.
I call my folks (another story there)
He heads to the clinic in canton.
I have a heart to heart with the boys on how you only get ONE BODY! How many times do I ask you NOT to jump, on, of, over the bed, couch etc...?!?!
Folks come over and plan to take me to meet up with Chris (who just called me asking for Drew's birthday - yes, he reminded me to mention that - seriously, we weren't rattled at all!)
I link up with Chris - The clinic is called Canton Medical - which is ironically the FIRST building that C&H fire sprinkler did when we arrived. This was Chris's FIRST project to be a part of. (Yes, my father was excited to walk through!) My mom was able to stay home with the boys.
Here he is getting x-rays. Prognosis at Canton Med - We need to move on the Children's Hospital. They don't have the appropriate pain meds etc to treat his fracture and possible dislocation.
Drew was a TROOPER. Yes it hurt and yes he cried. But he only cried when it hurt. He listened to the Doctors and KNEW it was serious. he didn't like to look at his arm and actually requested that we hide it with his blanket (that he calls buddy)
Arm is splinted on onto the hospital
Check in around 10;20pm - waiting room
His Arm hurt - but boy was he tired.
Once he was finally admitted, they put him under Katamean to try to fix the break and dislocation.
At 12:30 - the Dr comes to us and says - she cannot fix the break and dislocation. He will need surgery.
What? See the swollen arm in all the wrong places.
Apparently he broke the Ulnar and dislocated the Radius. Trying to put the radius back only pushed the ulnar back. Poor guy.....
So they splinted it again and proceed us into a room for the night. Chris went home to the boys and my mom while I stayed with this guy. It was 3am before we were finally in a room.
Yes, rounds start again around 6 - no snoozing. Drew woke up fidgeting and the most annoying this was the sensor on his toe. He HAD to get it off. They IV was next. I was desperately trying to turn the TV on to SOMETHING (but of course it won't work - literally unplugged.....)
I saw SO many different nurses, Doctors, Staff, schedulers during that time I could hardly keep it straight. We went from having surgery after 6pm that night (BUMMER!) to having surgery in 20 minutes.
I had just talked to Chris saying, to bring the boys in to say 'hi' later today to saying -
PLEASE COME HERE NOW they are putting him under.
In a flurry of signing paper work and saying yes to Anastasia and pretending to truly understand anything and everything that was going on, Drew bravely went back with a TEAM of Doctors while I sat by myself putting all my faith in powers above and beyond my control.
I was in the waiting room when Chris arrived equally as frazzled and Dr. Lee greet us saying all went well. Here is Drew's arm.
Before - broken and dislocated - (the radius - smaller bone - is supposed to be directed at the elbow -- see in the before where it is higher? The after shows the PIN through the Ulnar and the Radius now in place. Sent this photo right to my sis as I know she is good at this stuff.
Now to wake up the patient.
Do we really have to wake him. He finally looks so peaceful.... The cast color - BTW - he wanted black - I asked them to say they were out of black - seriously, its summer folks and although Drew may not be swimming - we would be at the pool - or outside.!
Starting to wake up (next to MONSTER truck - a gift from the hospital)
The true wake up came with an orange popsicle.
we came home from the hospital a bit discombobulated and took a day to recover. Thursday night was the open air Canton Concert and here was Drew getting his cast signed by sweet Grace.
Friday morning at swim team practice (for Nick of course) Thanks to a cast protector from kelly our neighbors. It was 90 that day.
Yes, its his right arm - yes he is a righty. Yes, he CANNOT go in the pool. The FUNNIEST thing about this all is watching him pull up his pants left handed. I giggle almost every time. Because he DOESN'T complain at all. it just takes longer. Everything takes longer - but he does it - lefty....
No problem at all.
Drew - you are a trooper.
Thank you all for the FB love and support as the distraction was needed and appreciated. WE have 4 weeks in a cast - its truly amazing how their body can heal. Its IMPOSSIBLE to slow him down. mini put is a HUGE favorite activity and he really plays no different. Thanks to my folks for grabbing him every so often to just chill. Screen times in the summer are so tough because they should be outside..... But Drew is logging in some leapster time and loving it.
Just when you thought things were crazy enough.
No comments:
Post a Comment