Wednesday, July 8, 2015

And we have a SWIMMER

Wednesday and its nick's FIRST meet.  Ever.  His team suit arrived JUST in time.  (I actually got it in the mail and at first glance said - bummer it won't fit.  He snatched it from my hands and went to try it on - well, it fit - perfectly!
It was a total ZOO - Lots of kids, parents, no parking, a bit of chaos and guess who got slotted to swim in the first event which was the medley relay - Nick!  
He was due to swim the fly leg!
  I could barely process what was about to happen.  Nick headed to the starting block and I got Shane and Drew together.  
His coach walked by and I asked her - So nick is swimming the 25 fly - to which she responded - yup, and he is gonna ROCK it - Well if she has the confidence - than so should i!
My tentative little guy was about to start his first race - just like that.  I was suddenly flooded by all the emotions I got when I was swimming.  Will my goggles stay on, will I have enough energy....  all that uncertainty - when off he goes.  I literally teared up watching him confidently knock out his 25 fly.
As parents we can shelter them from these experiences and than, they never have these experiences.  If I let him go home from swim team that day - he would be just fine.  But that's it - he would be just fine.  But now he has one more tool in his bag of confidence.  he can swim and he can swim well.  He did it - even if he did it scared.  I am actually envious of his confidence at this moment and thrilled he has it.


Later that night after I had to run and teach body pump - we all got together and gobbled this ENTIRE plate of fries - Swimmers are hungry!
Even the spectators.

Later on, he just looks like a pro - 

No comments:

Post a Comment