Veterans day has become a great day to really reflect on that part of our lives that truly changed our lives - in so many ways - but just saying yes to serving. Its a day we look back at some memorable photos and say, remember when?
I know its photos like these that truly kept Barbara up too late most nights - Sometimes I wondered how I got through a 15 month deployment but now that I have 3 boys I have no idea how she got through even a minute of having both of them in Iraq at the same time. I know we all cherish this photo. 5 minutes they managed to land the CH 46 on Chris's base camp, to which Chris and Steve drove a HMMVEE to meet them - 5 minutes, one photo.
My own experiences seem so far away, but photo like these truly take me back. Up watching SeaHuts construction. watching. I mean supervising.
Yes, I admittedly love construction, but can honestly say it was my soldiers that taught me everything about building these guard towers.
What does this beautiful horse have to do with Veteran's day? Well I got to brush and clean sweet Evelina today as my treat. She is a driving horse and the gentleman that drives her is 89 years old and not terribly interested in keeping her clean.
Truly beautiful and great 2 hours this morning.
That afternoon, I joined my folks for lunch at Chipotle and we went into the Cherry Brook Primary school and got to spend time in BOTH Drew and Shane's classroom. My Dad is often reserved about his service. I feel like that is normal - Chris is too - its as if they don't want any fan fare - I completely understand - but I think its times like this that I enjoy talking to the kiddos about options - real life in the service - real choices they can make. Granted Primary school isn't where they are making these choices, but we can sure put a great face on the military options.
I still wear my uniform - yup, its not code, but its worth it for the kiddos - I even brought my Dad's old pants in - Pretty sure he was just as shocked.
My dad brought some great photos and ribbons and loved talking to the kids as well.
Love how proud Drew was to have us - Love his hair?? Me too -
The do a sweet presentation for us all and had 50 Veteran's there - Impressive for little Canton!
I wish I had taken a photo of the Veteran pages on the wall as the Leadbetter/Carlson family took up an entire line. Managed to capture this Q-T
Thanks Dad for joining me - Of course you had everything to do with the decisions I made - and in a very good way! Will always love being able to do this with you!



No comments:
Post a Comment