This game - where to start?
I figured since nick cant sleep and is currently writing (for the first time) in his journal it might not be a bad idea to write it all down now too.
AAA final tournament start with a rough game against the top team - a game where they literally pulled out all the stops to win (and they didn't)! Stops like intentionally walking the batter (that just so happened to be Nick) yet still not winning. As luck would have it, 4 days later we got the chance to play them again.
Most heart pounding game of baseball I have seen.
Nick pitched the final 3 innings. His buddy Julian was the catcher the ENTIRE game. (they only play 6 innings and we were considered the guest - so that means the home team is last ups) Stick with me.
Inning 5 - (if you wonder if this is all about Nick - remember, I am his momma - so YES, it is!) the next 2 batters had some serious strikes thrown at them and got struck out - Nick looked so strong and confident on the mound! So proud of him - but there is one more inning and we were only up by to.
our at bats were sadly non producing. Derrick got on base, and stole all the way to 3rd, but didn't make it home. Still only up by 2.
Final at bats. The kids started to hit Nick's pitches, not big hits, but getting on base. A ball was hit between 2nd and 3rd, shortstop almost fields the ball, but nick cuts in and grabs is sending it to 1st Vinny grabs the throw for the first out. They keep getting little hits.
Matter of fact, the bases get loaded. A runner makes it in bringing the score to 9-8. A runner heads up on a short hit to Nick. He grabs it and sends it home which Julian fields and it on the base - textbook like. The Ump calls the runner safe. EVERYONE is on their feet and coach Ty runs at the UMP faster than I have ever seen. It was a force and apparently he didn't realize. The other UMP comes in to verify that he saw the out.
Now we have ONE MORE OUT. The kiddo takes the plate and Nick has this crazy smile on his face. I am certain he throws a ball or 2, the kiddo swings once, foul (strike) than he throws a solid strike - the kid never swings. Nick walks into Julian to grabs the ball with a HUGE smile on his face (my heart is pounding and yes the bases were loaded. its 9-8 this could go 2 very different ways. The crowd is SO QUIET and Nick is WAY more composed than I would EVER be. He sends a strike in and the kiddo doesn't swing - and the game is OVER. Pretty sure my voice resonated through our small town as I was elated nick got to enjoy this feeling. That these Phillies got to enjoy this feeling. THEY DID IT!
I LOVE this photo of the coach's smile. At one point (as the bases were loaded) he walked into Nick to talk to him as most coaches would do at this point. In my mind I thought he was saying - are you o.k.? Can you do this? I asked Nick later - what did he say?? He said - I only have you - and you will throw this kid out. You will do it. He empowered the kid, he didn't let him question himself. Can you tell I really like this coach? Coaches can have such an affect, an impression on kids - this guy surely did on nick and I LOVED seeing it.
The other great coach - Ty - he LOVES baseball and is rather shy outside of that. So he enjoyed the connection with the boys. He played 3rd base coach and often sent the boys from 2nd all the way home with waving arms. He loved seeing their expression of 'really?? Keep going???' as he ENTHUSIATICALLY signaled them home.
Here they all are with EARNED trophies in the grasp - no more participation stuff. These things matter. I see Derrick off to the side, not wanting to be recognized for his HUGE home run the game before. the modest slugger and teammate. I LOVED seeing this team come together. The players for the first time. the players that love baseball, the kids cheering for each other. Heck on the final pitches I had an earful of kiddos behind me cheering for Nick's final pitch (sure I wish I had a photo - but I was there and that was better)
so we get home and Nick delivers the play by play as best he can - he can't remember every detail but he can tell you how he feels. I ask him for one picture before bed. what does he do? He asks if he can wake up Gertie to be part of the photo. Love everything about this.
That smile - that poise - I hope he continues to enjoy the true exhalation that sports can deliver. Sure there are lows, but the successes really are awesome.
Go Leadbetter Go - loved his recap to Uncle jay that night =)!
Want to know his walk on song?? Here you go! can you guess where his inspiration came from??
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0J2QdDbelmY&list=PLcXvntD3lnUfoCyLMO6FE-Kl_usqG5g-h&index=1
Bobby Bones!
No comments:
Post a Comment