Sunday, June 26, 2016

Chicken coop - Leadbetter construction time!

I need to limit the Leadbetter house to one major construction project a year - Did realize the chicken coop would be one of those.  My husband is a freaking rockstar!  Although there weren't to many weekends of time to really knock this out - here he is trying to squeeze some time in
Apparently we have some new chickens......speaks to the size of the coop - like the wood floors?
A little painting while we had camp leadbetter
Another funny materials story - chris is ready to finish this coop and somehow the hole thing is getting bigger in my mind (to include the run) so one afternoon Chris ask if I mind grabbing the rest of the material at Home Depot.  Excited by the idea of finishing the coop - I race right out there with my 2 helpers - here is Shane pushing 21 8' 2X4s - 
Drew of course wanted to help too - You might not see anything on his cart, but we later filled it (and I wasn't able to take a photo.
A full CC bill later and a nice guy Carlos to help me load the mini van.  I was a bit stymied when I opened the mini van to find 4 UNEXPECTED golf club bags - gotta love the mini van.  We fit it ALL!  With room for more (not really.....)
So that weekend he did it!!  I mean seriously - he was driven, we worked together for a bit, but he did MOST of this himself.  2X4s together.  Netting throughout, taking advice from our neighbors as they walked by - by the time I cam home from my sister's on Sunday morning the Chickens were LOVING their new home.  ME TOO!
From here you can see their nesting boxes to the left and their temporary water and food set up.

Here they are outside in their run exploring and hanging out on the roosts.

Love the berch logs for their roosts - Love this window as my neighbor brought it over - he is a professional remodeler and a guy after my own heart when it comes to recycling excess.  So instead of throwing this window out, the ladies get a great view every morning.
This was yet another Labor of love from my husband.  Getting chickens and building a coop was NO WHERE on his radar screen - but he did it and here to MANY years of fresh eggs -  you just have to guess when it will all start!



No comments:

Post a Comment