Canton Intermediate School puts on a beautiful simple immigration reenactment for the 4th graders each year. They spend time developing a persona of an immigrate during that time period. Nick was a 3rd class citizen from Ireland who was leaving his wife and daughter behind and bringing his son (Vincent) to America - Looks like a proud papa in this photo!
here they are awaiting clearance
Chris and I dressed up as well - Chris was an immigration officer and I was on the mental health interrogator (we tested them with puzzles, games, questions etc...) - there was SO much parental involvement because they wanted to be there and totally made it for the kids. Can you find Nick in these photos??
They did such a wonderful job and helping the children comprehend it all.
Later that week, Chris and I got to be in Drew's classroom to talk about what we did to make our community safer or better - Chris told them about the fire sprinklers and they were fascinated by the things in the ceiling.
I got to do a mini fitness class with them all
To include some chill time stretching
Maybe a little balancing like a tree
Nice being able to be part of Drew's world for a bit
I will be the first one to admit - I think school is wonderful for kiddos - they get the chance to learn WITHOUT their parents. They get to grow with AMAZING teachers and friends. Social environments, quizzes, eye opening situations. I don't ever want to over involve ourselves in that part of their life - but I do want to know what it is like for them. Matter of fact, the other day I hopped on the bus to give something to Drew that he forgot. Just being on the BUS brought me back a good 30 years (like right??) they are so little and just kids - but these are such big strides for them and I LOVE seeing them make the strides!
No comments:
Post a Comment