Sunday, May 20, 2012

great start to the summer season right

In March we started to put an emphasis on swimming.  Just getting in the pool and getting comfortable.  Both for my kids and for me to know what my kids are capably of.  I was so thrilled to see what they are capable of!  On Friday, Nick was ready to take the life guard test.  (not to be a life guard, that may come much later...) but to swim a lap of the pool with no assistance!  He would go from a black bracelet to the coveted bright yellow one!  Its about a 20 meter swim for the little guy

WE are checking to make sure everything is all set.  Goggles, cheering team (me and Shane)  Chris and his folks also popped in to see his monumental achievement.  I loved that they were there to support him.  Nick was beaming just to see them walk through the door.
Can you see the little dude?  He is 1/2 way!
Picture perfect doggie paddle =)
All smiles for a successful swim
Shane has come a long way too.  When we started he wore the standard issue life jacket - not he is using my favorite swim belt.  It was recommended to me by my sister-in-law Shannon as I am certain her kids are fish.  You can take each block off as your child becomes stronger.  It tips them forward a bit and allows them to use their legs and arms properly.  Fabulous teaching tool in my book.

Here is the video I took of nick's lap.  I love how the first words were - I want to watch it.  Kids just love to see themselves on TV.

 
http://youtu.be/LVR0Lvw2WiA

So here's my PSA for today - Memorial Day is the beginning of pool season. 
Know your kids ability and know that no one will watch them as closely as you.  Not a lifeguard, not a buddy, no one. 

Also, know that drowning is quiet.  There often isn't screaming, flailing, nothing.  Shane does great in 3 ft of water when he can't touch, but he stumbles and cant often get his footing in 18 inches of water.  I have scooped him up several times.

I remember going to Tuscany with 6 families renting a home with a pool.  Poor Diane was having nightmares about being so close to a pool.  it is good to have a healthy fear of the water (but we still want you to sleep at night.  Sweet Chelcy told me a story of her weekend where her sweet daughter was struggling to get her footing too.  Hearing stories like that gives me chills and I know its does for the rest of you all too. 

The 10 minute break that lifeguards call for at public pools?  Not for their break - but because kids will play non-stop and don't realize they are tired.  They need the break!

Take your kids to the pool often and get to know how they swim as they get to know their abilities.  it is such an important life skill.  Nick might be able to swim a lap - but that doesn't mean I can take my eyes off.  Its a bit odd for me now as he does seem to spend most of his time underwater instead of above - but I am continually adjusting to his ability level.

Nice work Nick!!

No comments:

Post a Comment