One of the things that is truly the biggest reward when moving to a new place is finding the full family friends. The ones where the kids can hang out, the moms have a great time and we can even throw the dads in too. We recently got so fortunate with a family here in Brambleton. I mention her (Alexa) in an earlier blog as I introduced myself at our gym when I over heard her speaking German to her 2 boys - Yes, you heard me right, 2 boys. Get this, she is pregnant with her 3rd boy!! Can you say - it was meant to be?!?! you bet. They are walking distance from us which is something I have only dreamed of in the past.
Nick and Nico became the best of friends almost instantly - its amazing as a mom to watch kids just gel. Luca and Shane are at the same bumbling pace in life and Drew cannot wait to meet his new playmate. We have had several playdates during the week and now our weekend are often filled with them. They are the kind of family that you really enjoying just being with. So here are some of our adventures so far.
Frying pan park -
I was lucky to catch this peacock just in time.
Nick's first cow milking opportunity
Tractor racing---now who out there is channeling 'foot loose'? Remember that tractor racing scene? These tractors are stationary - Thank goodnesss
I love the shared enthusiasm in Nico and Nick's face.
Line em up boys
Here they go - off to find another adventure
This is a great shot Alexa too in our neighborhood on the way to Sweet Frog
These are a few great shots from today. We went to Great Country Farms - a fun munchkin place about 40 minutes from home. Our challenge was to fill these too buckets
Drew was in charge of the water bottle
Its a serious mission Mr Cutie
Nick and Nico were pretty good on the searching department
- Luca and Shane were better in the consumption department
They carted us out and back to the strawberry fields in these fun tractors. We weighed our strawberries, but thankfully for Shane, we didn't have to weigh our bellies =)
Drew didn't have a fever today - but he was still a bit off. He was just happy to be part of the team
And Catch a snooze here and there
The farm had lots of other fun activities, a rope maze, tube slide, rope swings, animals, bouncy pillows - here are our favorites (or the times I managed to pluck the camera out)
Chris and Shane stumbling through the rope maze
This place was awesome and SO RELAXING. Its a Corn Sand Box.
Nick was buried by Nico and Luca in the corn
Later that night when changing Shane I thought we could start making our own corn sand box.... However those corn kernels were tossed =)
here is Me, Alexa and her buddy Alicia that was visiting this week from Germany. She is pregnant with her 1st and its a girl. Figures right? Alexa enjoyed taking her shopping and buying all kind of little girl things. All the mothers of boys
The more I think of our new friendship the more I am in awe of how 'complimentary' it is. I had 2 children in Germany and Nick attended German Kindergarten. Alexa has had all her children here in the states (They have lived in Texas, Michigan and CT - I was shocked when she wrote that to me in our email correspondence)
Her family in still in Germany and she goes back to visit for long periods of time over the summer. Matter of fact, she is about to make that trans Atlantic trip in June. The one I still have nightmares about. She will be very pregnant and with 2 kids. Her bonus will be that Luca and Nico both have seats of their own which is pricier, but hopefully more comfortable for that shrinking lap size.
Now you ask, does Nick speak German to Nico? Gosh, I wish. I wonder if we met them 3 month previous if I could salvage his German. But my shy guy Nick is self conscious of his German (as we all tend to be when speaking a non native language) Alexa is so patient with him trying to pull out some pleasantries - Danke, Bitte, etc... But Nick just blushes and resorts to English. In his defense, he was the special friend in Pre-K this week. One of his special days was to preform a talent. As a 5 year old, he opted to count to 10 in German. I guess that's something.
I am forever amazed and thankful at how friends walk into your life.

No comments:
Post a Comment