Monday, June 11, 2012

Can I play favorites?

As a mom of 3 of course I love my boys SO much (it doesn't mean I 'like' them all the time)-I also find it interesting lately my feelings of 'favorites'  Its almost impossible to carve out time for a particular one as they seem to need me all at once.  

They have to 'compete' for my attention based on their level.  Nick wants to learn to tie his shoes, Shane is learning how to merely put them on and Drew wants to be in my arms the entire time I perform all actions.

Among all the demands, what intregues me the most is how each child deals with the lack of individualized attention.  
Nick, my first born nestles his way into anyone's current attention giving.  If I am playing a game with Shane (while Nick was at Pre-K or something) Nick is instantly interested in said activity even if he had little desire before.  When I am working directly with Shane, I can almost count the seconds as to when Nick will appear wanting to offer his advice or perspective...  Cute?  Annoying really (i/m his mom, I can say that right?)

Shane make requests to help get his shoes on.  When unanswered, he just gets in the car shoe-less.  He is also potty training and that really demands some mama attention.  He tried to tell me something is coming out and when its truly an emergency (like yesterday in the pool) his voice makes that obvious.  The other night I was trying to ignore them at 8:15 with a glass of wine with my husband on the porch.  I heard them playing around in their room and instead of begging and demanding them to stay in bed, we let them play it out.  10 minutes later, Shane came all the way downstairs and found us at the sliding glass door.....  He looked like a horror film, blood streaming from his nose and all down his front.  In his calm manner he just said, something is coming out....  Ya think?  Thankfully Chris was here as his ability to react to these situations is far superior to mine.  Shane has also had 2 tick extractions so far this season.  One on his shoulder and one on his man parts (I know you boys are cringing out there)  Recently at the part we had left his bike to the side (his little run bike is a HUGE attraction at the playground)  a little girl picked it up to tried to ride it.  Her mom was quick to say - honey that's not yours.  Shane quickly came down the slide and to absolutely warms my heart, what were his words - 'you can ride my bike if you want to'  I about burst into tears when I heard his sweet voice say that.  I think the little lady was shocked too.  His face was as sweet and true as I always want to remember.  
This is a photo I took last week of our picnic partner.  Shane asked if he could share his bread with him.  He also told the duck, he could sit with us if he wants to.
There is something about that 2-3 age that can be so simply rewarding.  His reactions are so genioune and desire to help sweet.  Now, please don't think he is an angle as I still see him try to swipe things from Nick and He has been known to knock Drew over a time or to - But he has frustrations too.

Now Drew might be at a cute stage as he sits up, smiles, puts everything in his mouth and just loves being at your level.  But he also LOVES being with you all the time.  Some days I think its cute when I have time to just hold him - but you all know how often that time rolls around.  So his desire to be an only child is ridiculously frustrating.  He has this almost monotone cry or whine when he wants something (held) or when he is a bit nervous that someone will knock him over.  It rattles my brain - I must be honest, sometimes it makes me want to stick him outside.  He has conducted this conversation several times with himself in his room.  When he finally takes a nap (which once again, they last 45 minutes at MOST) I look at my 2 older boys and think, this is simple.  What are we missing?  
Oh ya, Drew.


So as much as I think I am raising 3 boys in the same manner they are turning out very different for a variety of reasons.  Nick is a great eater and Shane doesn't eat crust or apple skins.  Drew falls asleep easily at 7, Nick at 8 and Shane rattles around til after 9.  Nick wakes up at 5, Drew at 6 and Shane could sleep away the day til 8:30!  (please see my sleeping hours diminish with the longer 'working hours')
AS I write this ramble of a blog, Drew is taking a quick nap, the big boys get a bonus round of Dino train and Chris calls me to say his business trip was extended a day.  No one wants to hear what the rest of this ramble is (nor do I want to see it when I look back in 10, 20, 30 years...), so i best end now while i'm sort of ahead. 
If I keep going, in a few hours this is what I will be able to enjoy



But from all of that - if I were to choose one of them to join me at the Athleta Grand Opening at Reston Town Center that I planned to enjoy a great glass of wine and happily trying on the clothes that I only see in catalogs, well Shane better wash those sear sucker pants =)  Off to find a last minute babysitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment