Saturday, August 18, 2012

Time to baby Daddy

This surgery was about 2 years in the making.  Chris tore the labrum in his right shoulder a few years ago while we were living in Germany.  He spent months sleeping in the recliner and trying to figure out what was causing all the pain.  After countless Dr. visits and crazy meds he learned to deal with it.  Now living in VA with top notch Drs, when he re-agrivated it recently he figured it was time to fix it.  The Drs here were able to send a dye through his tissue to better diagnose a what was causing the pain.  They discovered a tear in the labrum - the tissue that connects to the shoulder socket.  The Doctors refer to this as the lips around the shoulder socket. Chris was thrilled to finally have a diagnosis and scheduled his surgery happy to be on the road to recovery.  

That morning we wheeled him into surgery and he was excited and a bit nervous at the same time - mostly because he was concerned they would get in there and see a minor tear - or nothing big.  Well it turns out they had to anchor it in 3 spots instead of the originally planed 2!  Yikes!

I was fortunate to be able to escort Chris to his surgery.  My mom flew back to CT that day after our 4 weeks together, but thankfully his folks where able to help with the kids.  As we set our alarms and walked into the clinic at 6am - I told him - we don't have to schedule surgery to get a date these days do we?  

Here goes the patient
It was a sea of activity in the clinic that morning - serveral patients with aliements here and there.  Nurses, PA assistants rolling around.  The Drs. strolled in right before surgery.  As everyone was buzzing around I kept asking which one was his Dr.  Than over walks who I would imagine Dr. Drake Remore' (to keep his confidence I am using Joey's soap opera name from Friends becasue that is exactly the name that came to mind!)  Funny Chris didn't mention his Dr. was nice to look at.  

The Dr. came to see me in the waiting room with these photos - honestly its amazing the technology.  The first few show the 'lip' away from the shoulder.  The final few show the 3 spots that attach it (i say that, but good luck seeing it!)

2 Hours later - how excited is our patient now?  Ready to go home?  Looking at this photo I feel like the drugs took over every part of his body.
And here is where he spent most of Thursday.  I loved how Pauli was happy to stay by his side (although she couldn't perform any of the basics, change ice, bring meds etc) her presence is surely soothing.

Shane got in the swing of helping out too - Here he is bringing orange slices to dad.
Later that night wyland and I brought the big boys out to the local concert to give Chris and Barbara a breather.  I thought the bubbles were a great idea - but I think the folks next to us were not nearly as excited.
As I write this (Saturday) Chris is snoozing in the recliner.  Shane and Drew are also napping which is amazing to orchestrate.  Chris is surely healing but continuing to sleep in the recliner.  He tries to help out, but I can tell its frustrating to have limitations and we surely don't want him to over extend himself.  This is his big oppurtunity to get healed.  The boys are happy to help out where they can.  Its funny for me to look through the house and realize Nick is my biggest helper at the moment.  
Our buddies Alexa and Tom offered to take the 2 big boys last night for a sleep over.  What perfect timing.  The boys loved it.  As I left, they said, have a relazing night - well I was on my way to help my 4th boy with his shower =)  I wish I could baby him more - but sometimes there are just not enough hours in the day for all the love mommy needs to offer up.  

Here's hoping the the road to recovery isn't too long.  I know my husband and he hate being limited.  Relax honey - those boys will wait, I promise.  Love you

No comments:

Post a Comment