Saturday, December 17, 2011

A little escape to Ulm

On Wednesday I woke up with a little list of random moving things i should prepare and do.  I also had both kids headed to Kindi until 2:30 - so guess what - scratch that list - i am taking some time for me!!  I have always oogled Ulm from the Highway.  You can see this beautiful church in the skyline.  However because we are always headed to another big city, we never stop.  So today was my day to do it - its now or never right?? 

Drew and I loaded up and drove in the POURING RAIN - to Ulm. 

We pulled into the parking garage - Drew had his mid morning snack and off we went.  The Church did not disappoint (and made it easy for my poor sense of direction) as thankfully the market was at the base of the church (I conducted little research for this adventure - so I was really just lucky that it worked out!)  Many of my friends can attest to my lack of direction - need I resort back to the hike blog with Nicole and Chris??
A little glockespiel that I got to hear at about 11.  I loved how its just on the side of a random building.  Of course I say random, but surely the Germans thought this through...

Beautiful navity scene in the center of the Christmas market
The clouds parted and I got to take some amazing photos - This church is know for having the tallest spiers.  Construction started in 1377 but didn't finish until the 19th century (talk about slow productivity)  but they had several wars during that time which slowed the focus.  Here is a bit more information.


I loved the feel of viking/religious
a photo for my mom.  Imagine this Organ.
I loved every photo
Thanks to the German who helped me and Drew into the Chruch and they enjoyed checking him out too - I decided hitting the Christmas markets on a weekday morning ment I was amoung the mom's with babies and the senior citizens, perfect!!
This photo is for my sister.  She has tried twice to unsuccessfully take home one of these beautiful scenes.  Keep this photo as one of these will not be yours!
This photo is for the boys (that aren't with me today!)

A little hansel and gretel
Drew and i braving the rain
We did it!!  What a great day for us and so glad we took the oppurtunity



To make our day utterly wonderful, this is what I saw as we left.  The person perviously parked in front of me already left!!  Seriously, with my minivan I could just pull forward, no 45 point turn to get out of the mega small parking garage!!  Absolutely amazing.
Guess we were living right that day.  Thanks for paving the way for a beautiful and memorable day for just me!

No comments:

Post a Comment