Thursday, October 16, 2014

Shane Turns 5!

5 years ago I remember this little man finally coming into our lives - it was a Friday afternoon the Dr thought about induction, but Shane decided it was time.  The German Doctors were amazing and I will never forget Chris's excitement.  He was named Tyler for a brief bit but Shane was more fitting.  That evening it was just he and I snuggling in the hospital room as the nurses didn't bug us much (thinking I was some kind of expert) and we watched the fireworks come over the hill of downtown Stuttgart.  Today was German unification day and the birth of Shane.  A wonderful chance to celebrate.
Shane was instantly one to be a wonderful addition to our family.  A wonderful sleeper, happy companion and smiley dude.  He was quick to talk (and does so quite a bit)  
I love this video and could watch it a million times.


Its the truest sighting of the Shane face which was Shane's signal initially that he didn't want anymore food, or 'I don't like that' or 'I'm frustrated with that'  or clowning around.  Now we beg to see it.

Ah Shane - truly the many reasons we love you.  I LOVE to watch his concentration.  He has a kind heart to all living things especially little cuties like spiders and such (blah!)

One of our most favorite things about Shane is that he is slow to wake up - he will snuggle, hair all disheveled.  But since he doesn't want to miss a thing, he often drags himself out of bed just to follow Nick downstairs to see what is up.  He LOVES being with Nick - he LOVES instigating Drew.  Here he is on Thursday his birthday morning with 5 Balloons and a new birthday blanket that I covered him with the night before.  Nick was the only one to notice it.
Breaking through the birthday streamers.
Ready for school birthday boy?
That afternoon his teacher Mrs. Theriault let me come in to read a special story to the class.  Instead of treats, they let us donate the book for a swap at the end of the year.  Our family favorite is Ferdinand the Bull
That afternoon Shane literally bounded off the bus to continue his special day and what was waiting for him?  A Brand New Bike.  Being the middle dude, stuff is so often handed down to him used from Nick - Honestly he doesn't seem bothered by that at all which is wonderful.  But Chris and I thought its time to have his own bike.  He was OVER the moon.  And a darn good rider.  So it was the perfect fall afternoon for a family bike ride.
And here they are at the top of the hill already doing 'tricks'  (apparently Drew needs a better helmet - noted!)
Seriously, there he goes - I would hesitate to say 'fearless' as there was a bit of fear in his eyes and he didn't race up there to do it again.
Thinking Nick may need a new bike too - ha!  He loves this bike so much and I will admit - so do I.  But when I saw these 2 photos together I was thinking yup, its time.
Here goes super fast Drew!
A beautiful scene along the river
looking for rocks to throw
Not a bad looking crew
That night he requested Dinner - Chicken, rice, and carrots - seriously!  his request.
And chocolate cake
Nick scored the award for the most thoughtful gift - Oma Sue took him shopping at the beginning of the week.  He always surprises me with his ideas.  He got Shane a stuffed shark and hid it in his bed.  Shane was thrilled.
Saturday was the day for his party.  With all these beautiful fall weather Chris and I were in TOTAL DENIAL that it woudl rain that day.  Chris even set up a 100' zipline as part of the outdoor wipeout course. 
Nope - we were inside - thanks for some party planning tips from Farrah we had some great 'minute to win it' games for the 2 separate times.  Here was the concentrain for Unicorn Stack - Separation anxiety was a favorite, Nose dive, Noodling around, etc...
tossing the balls--- 
into the buckets. 
Glow in the dark room with glowing balloons - cool 
The biggest event was the obstacle course that Chris constructed in the basement (thankfully we have a basement now)  Here is the spider crawl. 
a little bounce house roller ball action too 
Shane loved the present part of the afternoon too feeling all the love. 
more cake?!  Wow!  can you hear the chorus?? 
That night my folks and sister's family stayed for dinner and man was it good.  One wonderfully full house to celebrate a great little dude. 
Love you buddy - happy birthday.







No comments:

Post a Comment